How to Sell Your House Fast
As long as you’re getting the sale price you’re hoping for, once you put your house on the market, you generally want to be able to sell it as quickly as you can. That, of course, is a lot easier said than done!
In this article, we’ll be giving some handy tips on simple and practical things you can and should do to enable your property to sell quickly.
Make your house more presentable
The first and most important thing you need to do is make the inside of your home look as warm, light, loved and spacious as possible. These are just a few of the things you should consider looking at:
- Removing clutter – the fewer bits and pieces you leave lying around, the more spacious your house will feel and the more easily viewers will be able to imagine how their own things might fit in. Pack away kids’ toys, do any dishes and keep kitchen surfaces clean and clear, remove personal photos and documents, and make sure that towels and laundry aren’t left where they were thrown.
- Letting in the light – make sure curtains and blinds are fully open so that as much natural light as possible can flood in.
- Making cosmetic improvements – there are plenty of little things we put up with because we’re used to them, whether it’s marks on the wall or carpet, broken fixtures and fittings or squeaky doors. One or two shouldn’t be a major problem (although it’s still best to sort them if possible), but if they start to add up, your viewer will just be thinking how much they’d need to do were they to move in.
- Keeping it smelling fresh – if your house smells of wet dog, last night’s curry or stale cigarettes and alcohol, it’s going to be extremely off-putting to any viewers. Air fresheners, scented candles or even the classic warm bread and freshly brewed coffee are all good ways of making your house smell more homely.
- Redecorating – but only where necessary. Remember that even though most people are going to want to redecorate to their own taste at some point, the vast majority will want a nice home they can move straight into and then freshen up in their own time. So if there’s a room that’s looking like it hasn’t been touched for years, a fresh coat of paint (in a light, natural colour) is a relatively quick and inexpensive way of bringing it up to standard.
When we visit your home to provide a valuation and put together your property listing, we’ll be able to provide helpful and practical advice as to things you can do that can make your home more appealing to any viewers.
Boost your kerb appeal
The first thing people are going to see of your home, whether they come across it online or in person, will be its front aspect. First impressions really do matter, and if you leave the front of your house looking uncared for, people could just assume that the rest of the house will be much the same and pass on.
- Thoroughly weed any paths and flower beds
- Mow the lawn
- Cut back any large bushes and overhanging trees
- Tidy up the bins
- Clean the front door and windows
Of course, you should also make an effort to keep your back garden reasonably tidy as well!
Choose the right estate agent
If you want a quick sale, you want to make sure you’ve got an estate agent that is motivated to realise a sale that you are 100% happy with and will work hard to achieve it. These are just some of the things to look for:
- Free, realistic valuations from those familiar and experienced with the local property market
- Reviews from previous sellers who had a positive experience and who got their sale in a reasonable timeframe
- Detailed property listings with lots of high-quality photos, accurate measurements, clear floorplans and virtual tours
- Multiple marketing streams, including websites like Rightmove, Zoopla and OnTheMarket and social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn, not to mention more traditional techniques like For Sale boards outside the property and window displays
Here at Robert Ellis Estate Agents, we offer all the above and a lot more. With multiple local branches and access to lots of active local house hunters, you can be confident that you’ll have the very best chance of achieving that quick sale you want.
Get the price right
Of course, anyone can get a quick sale if they set the price low enough – what you want to do is get a quick sale but at a price you’re happy with. To do that, you need the help and assistance of an experienced local agent who can make an informed judgement of the current value of your property, taking into account its condition, recent sales in the area, local facilities and any future developments that might make the area more attractive to buyers.
When you want to sell your house fast, trust in Nottingham’s No.1 estate agent to do the job for you. From initial valuation to final completion of the sale, our aim is to keep you fully up to date on any developments, provide exceptional levels of customer care and make sure that your experience is 100% positive throughout.
Get in touch with us to find out more, or book your free valuation online now.